Wednesday, September 23, 2009 at 12:33pm
This makes me feel old, but does anyone remember the days when the northeast corner of Lee and Oakton Streets in Des Plaines was an open field of mud and weeds? And didn’t the Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Baily Circus roll into town off the Soo Line railroad tracks and prop up their big top and side-show tents? Am I just dreaming up those wierd memories?
I was reminded of “those days” when I received a flyer in my mail yesterday. Tickets for the circus are going on sale at the Allstate Arena and the United Center for shows in November of this year. Front row seats cost in the range of $60 to $80. Or you can buy a package deal for $99 which includes (4) $24 seating, (4) hot dogs and (4) drinks. WHAT A DEAL!
|Elephants in three-ring performance at the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, 1970.|
Can you imagine? A cleaner, safer environment for the bearded lady, the world’s smallest horse, and Solomon, the Man-Monkey. The politcally correct side-shows; such as, the weight and height challenged or the conjoined twins. The smells of spilled beer, nachos with cheese, and public bathrooms, instead of the dust, hay, and animal manure. Imagine the view from the nose-bleed section in cramped stadium seating, no longer the cold, hard grandstand seating with just okay views, but watching a megatron TV screen that brings you closer to the action… because you’re so far away you couldn’t make out the elephants from the clowns.
And speaking of the clowns… if you arrive early enough, you and 5 or 6 thousand other screaming early birds can go to the All Access Pre-show and Clown College and learn how to be a circus clown.
Top 10 Reasons Why You Can’t Miss the All Access Pre-show!
10) An amazing elephant paints right before your eyes.
9) Learn juggling, makeup and fun with the world famous Clown Alley.
8) See a one-of-a-kind special Ringling Bros®motorcycle as built by Orange County Choppers.
7) Meet the performers up close and get autographs.
6) Witness Klose’s Performing Canines jump through obstacles and hoops.
5) Be amazed as Zingmaster Alex teaches magic to audience members.
4) See performers jump rope and do tricks on the low wire.
3) Watch the contortions and table juggling of the Chinese Qi Qi Har Troupe.
2) Try on actual clothes used in The Greatest Show On Earth. Eww!
…and the number 1 reason why you can’t miss the All Access Pre-show;
1) It’s FREE with your ticket, so get in on the fun!
Well, that’s good enough for me. Remember the days when you threatened your parents to run away from home and join the circus… well, now you can make them proud and you can pick up a few credits at the Clown College, as well.